Frequently Asked Questions:
How long will my rug last?
There are many factors that can effect the longevity of an area rug. They include fiber type, weave and density. Quality hand made rugs should last from 60 to as much as 100 years. Lower quality rugs,Tufted and most woolen machine made rugs while excellent for decorating and more affordable, will not have the same durability.
What is a hand tufted Rug?
Hand tufted area rugs resemble more expensive hand knotted rugs in intricacy of design, detail and coloring. A hand tufted rug is constructed by pushing yarns through a heavy canvas backing, then shearing the face of the rug to create a cut pile. These rugs are very heavy and extremely dense in weave.
What is a hooked rug?
Hooked rugs are made with wool and are woven using a hand hook, similar in shape to a crochet hook, to form a looped pile. Our hooked rugs are made on a non skid latex backing.
What should I look for when purchasing an oriental rug?
Basically, there are eight areas that you should focus on:
- Material of the Rug - should be soft handspun wool
- How the Rug is Made - is it hand knotted or tufted
- Country of Origin - good quality rugs are being made in Iran, Turkey, Pakistan, India and China
- Significance of Rug Design - how aesthetically pleasing is the design
- Colors - vegetable dyed wool colors are generally more pleasing and desirable than synthetically dyed wools
- Density of the Knots - while not necessarily an indicator of long-term value, knot density relates directly to the time and cost of weaving a rug. Also, carpets with a higher knot density may resist wear and tear better over time than carpets with a lower knot density.
- Overall Quality using the above considerations vis a vis the asking price
How can I be sure that both my credit card number and personal financial information is kept safe when making a payment to EORC?
All e-commerce transactions placed through the web site are processed entirely by secure servers. All information transmitted is first encrypted using a 128-bit SSL (Secure Socket Layer). This is the industry standard and offers the highest level of encryption possible, which means you can rest assured that all communications between your web browser and our web servers are private and secure.
How can I tell if I am browsing in Secure Mode?
Standard, unsecured URL address begins "http://". When you enter secure mode, usually at the point where you begin entering personal credit information, the beginning of the URL address will change to "https://"; the "s" stands for secure. Most browsers in secure mode also display a blue line along the top of the browser window. Netscape Navigatorª (versions 3.0 and earlier) displays a broken key symbol in the lower left corner of your browser window when you are not viewing a secure page of a site. This key will become solid when you enter secure mode. Netscape Communicator 4.0 uses a padlock, in the same location as the key, to indicate if you are in standard or secure mode. The padlock is open in standard mode and closed in secure mode. In Microsoft's Internet Explorer¨, you'll see a padlock symbol at the bottom of your browser window when the browser is in secure mode.
What methods of payment does EORC accept?
EORC accepts a number of secure payment methods – both online and off. We currently accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and also offer payment through your PayPal account if you have one. For offline transactions, we will also accept Money Orders in US Dollars, and corporate checks.
When will my credit card be charged?
EORC will charge your credit card the day the order is placed.
Do I need to pay sales tax on my purchase?
There will be sales tax on your order if the shipping address is in New York state.
Do the colors of the actual rugs match the colors on the website?
All of the oriental rugs shown on the site have been carefully photographed and enhanced to show the true color and intricate details of each rug. However due to differences in color settings on individual monitors, we cannot insure that each rug is 100% color correct.
How can I buy rugs from EORC?
We offer two convenient ways to shop:
- Via www.store-eorc.com through our 100% secure shopping and checkout service. This is easy and always available for your shopping convenience. We have state of the art technology including secure server encryption technology to protect all of your personal credit information. We also offer users the convenience of processing the transaction through Paypal.
- b. Via our call center at (516) 962-2175. Just call and one of our helpful, knowledgeable customer care representatives will take your order over the phone. Our hours of operation are: Mon – Fri: 10:00am – 5:00 pm EST.
How do I contact EORC?
50 Schmitt Blvd
Farmingdale, NY 11735
I couldn't find the perfect rug for my needs on the web site. Do you have any other rugs that are not shown?
Yes, we have access to many more rugs and we are always adding new ones to the site. If you have a special request, just email us with your requirements and we'll see if we can't find it for you.
I'm worried about colors - how can I get a better description?
Simply e-mail or call us and we can pull the rug you're interested in and provide more precise color details. Communicating the colors will be easiest over the phone, so please provide us with your telephone number.
What if I am unhappy with the rug after I receive it?
Customer Satisfaction is paramount at EORC. We stand behind the quality of every rug we sell. If, for any reason you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, return it within 30 days and we will exchange it or refund the purchase price less 20% restocking fee, whichever you prefer. Note that refunds to credit cards can take up to 2-3 weeks to appear. Refund checks take 4-6 weeks.
Shipping costs on all returns going back to the EORC warehouse are the responsibility of the customer except in cases where the rug is clearly defective. We recommend that packages be sent back to us with UPS or FedEx Ground or any other carrier that can track and insure its packages. Please be sure to completely wrap your returns in the original packaging or equivalent and use tape to secure it. Please print the inventory number of the rug and your name on the package.
Please note that upon arrival we inspect the rug and pieces that have been soiled or damaged may be refused or cause you to incur additional fees. We will not accept rugs that have been visibly damaged or soiled. No refunds will be given after 30 days.
How should I choose between professional carpet cleaning services?
As a general rule, the safest recommendation we offer regarding cleaning any type of rug is to have it done professionally using the steam extraction method.
Be sure your cleaner knows how to clean your particular type of rug. Cleaning a hand-made oriental rug is very different from cleaning wall-to-wall carpet!
- Inspect the rug with the cleaner. Note existing stains and damage before it is cleaned.
- Get a signed receipt for the work to be done and a guarantee, if possible, that it will be done.
- Make sure the cleaner can afford an insurance claim should something go wrong.
- If the rug has chemical dyes, there is more likelihood the colors will run when it is washed if it is not done by a professional.
What are some of your suggestions for caring for and preserving my rug over time?
Even though a handmade rug is a work of art, it is made to be used and walked on. With proper use, handmade oriental rugs generally become more valuable. Remember that handmade rugs are not easily damaged, so enjoy your handmade rug without any worries.
- Follow the instruction below and you will enjoy your rug for generations: Every two to four years wash the rug professionally. It is important to have it washed professionally because as the rug is used, dust, dirt and broken fiber get into the foundation. Do not take the rug to general carpet-cleaning companies because the techniques and chemicals they use for wall-to-wall carpets may not be appropriate for handmade rugs.
- In case of soft drink or alcohol spill, apply salt or baking soda to the spot for a few minutes to absorb the color of the drink. Then vacuum off the salt or baking soda. After vacuuming, use a wet towel to gently wipe the stain in the direction of the pile. You can wet the towel with regular or carbonated water. Be gentle; do not scrub the rug.
- In case of water spill, dry the wet spot immediately with a hairdryer on warm temperature. Try to dry both sides of the rug if possible.
- Vacuum or sweep your rug on a regular basis. Use suction in the direction of the pile. AVOID USING A BEADER BAR since it will ruin the pile of the rug. Be very careful so that the fringes do not get pulled or sucked in by the vacuum cleaner.
- Use good quality underpadding
- For old stains, take the rug to a professional handmade rug retailer. Do not try to clean old stains yourself.
- Rotate your rug 180 degrees every six to twelve months depending on the extent of traffic. Rotation can be helpful since all parts of a rug can be exposed to light equally so that the colors fade evenly. When colors are exposed to the sun evenly, they become harmonious and the rug ages nicely. Also, rotation can distribute the traffic evenly as well. All parts of the rug should be exposed to equal amount of traffic so that the pile wears evenly.
Can I track my order while in shipment?
After you have placed your order, you will receive a confirmation email from EORC. Once your order has been shipped, we will contact you again with the necessary shipping/tracking information. You may use that information to login at the FedEx website, www.fedex.com , to track your shipment by confirmation number.
Do I need to be at home to accept my delivery when it arrives?
We realize that you may not necessarily be home when your delivery arrives. Don’t to worry - if you’re unavailable at time of delivery, the carrier will leave you a notice to contact the delivery office. A signature will be required upon successful delivery of your rug.
Do you ship to APO/PO Boxes?
For the security of our customers and ourselves, we do not ship our rugs to APO or PO Box addresses.
How is my rug packaged for safe shipment?Your rug is fully and carefully wrapped to best protect it from wear and tear during its journey from EORC to your door.
How long does shipping take?
For those orders shipped via FedEx Basic Ground to residences within the US, delivery will take place within 2-5 days of order processing.
What happens if my rug is damaged or lost while in transit? Who is responsible?
EORC takes all necessary precautions to ensure our customers are inconvenienced as little as possible if a rug is damaged or lost. Full insurance coverage will have been provided by EORC in order to cover the cost of any loss in the rare case this should occur.
What shipping options are available to EORC customers?
EORC uses FedEx and UPS as its primary means of transport. EORC customers may choose from Basic Ground shipping, Express Ground shipping, Second Day Air, or Next Day Air shipments. Please note that only those orders shipped via Basic Ground shipping, qualify for free shipping within US.
When I unwrap my rug I notice some slight folds & creases due to storage and packaging for shipping. How can I get rid of them?
Because your rug has been folded and/or rolled up tightly for safe and efficient transport, you’ll note that in some cases the rug may curl along edges, or show creases along lines where it has been folded. You can remove the ‘curl’ by placing a heavy object on the curling edge. After a few days, the rug will lay flat, as it should. Alternatively, you can use the reverse roll procedure: simply roll the rug in the opposite direction and store “reverse rolled” overnight. Then lay the rug out the next day. Most rugs will lay down flat once this process is completed.
Ridding your rug of any creases is even easier. Simply allow for regular traffic and vacuuming over the rug, and creases will eventually disappear.